Functions on campus

From Monday 16 March 2020 the University has cancelled all public events and social gatherings. The cancellation has been put in place to minimise the risk of transmission of COVID-19 among our community and more broadly. If you have any questions about the cancellation, please contact the Functions on Campus team on (02) 6125 4000 or email

Functions on Campus (FoC) is the application process for holding functions on University grounds and within University facilities. Functions include staff, student or external organised social, cultural, fundraising or sporting events.

This application process applies to all University facilities (including rooms within buildings) and the placement of posters and other promotional material around campus. It also includes any external area of the campus grounds, such as ovals, the banks of Sullivan's Creek, Kambri, barbeque areas and the Forestry Fire Pit.

The responsibility for the management of Functions on Campus resides with the Director, Facilities and Services Division and the Functions on Campus team are available to assist Function Organisers through the application process.

Function on Campus Applications must be submitted to the Functions on Campus team for processing via the Functions on Campus eForm for staff and student organised functions. External organised functions, or those groups/locations not included in the first release of the eForm will be required to submit a paper based Application to Hold a Function on Campus via email.

The Function Organiser must read and agree to comply with the Functions on Campus Terms and Conditions at the time of the FOC application submission. The details below are intended to assist you in completing your FoC application.

Why do I need to complete the FoC Application Process?

The University needs to be made aware of all Functions in order to comply with a duty of care for staff, students and visitors to campus. This includes the management of risks, and issues such as security and safety. This also allows the University to mitigate traffic and noise, as well as to minimise disruption to other campus users.

Additionally, the University must authorise the sale, supply or consumption of alcohol at Functions under the ANU Liquor Statute 2015 (the Statute) (s 5.1) on any part of the campus and this is managed through the FoC process.

Under which circumstances do I not need to complete the FoC eForm?

Currently, you need to complete the FoC eForm if the function is organised by ANU staff or students, for all functions except if it will be held at one of the following locations:

Halls of Residence
Kinloch Lodge (UniLodge)
Lena Karmel Lodge (UniLodge)
Davey Lodge (UniLodge)
Warrumbul Lodge (UniLodge)
Other ANU locations
University House
Graduate House
Llewellyn Hall (internal building only)
Drill Hall Gallery
School of Art & Design Gallery

For ANU affiliated staff or externally organised functions, you will need to complete the paper based Application to Hold a Function on Campus (PDF, 123KB).