The Higher Degree Research (HDR) Supervision Annual Registration Renewal process provides an opportunity for HDR supervisors to reflect on their experience and practice, share their learning with colleagues, strengthen their knowledge of particular supervisory topics, and keep up-to-date with policy changes. It is a core element of the HDR Supervision Development Framework.
Annual registration renewal requirements
HDR supervisor registration is renewed each calendar year, at any time during that year. Renewal is required for all HDR supervisors who are ANU staff, regardless of supervisory role, and all Panel Chairs and Primary Supervisors who are not ANU staff.
Registration renewal is a three-step process (details below). Each registered HDR supervisor is expected to: spend a minimum of an hour annually on a qualifying renewal activity; review the short ANU HDR Supervision: Annual Policy and Practice Update; and submit a HDR Supervision Annual Registration Renewal Form.
Explanatory information and time commitment
We recognise your time is precious; the registration renewal process is designed to be as helpful to your HDR supervisory practice, and as efficient, as possible. The three-step process can be completed in stages, and within 90 minutes overall.
1) Qualifying renewal activities
A qualifying renewal activity is one that contributes to development of good supervisory practice. These activities are expected to take around 60 minutes.
Recommended qualifying renewal activities are:
- participating in a local-area HDR Supervision forum or workshop. Most of these will be organised at School, Centre or Institute level by your HDR Convener; some may be organised at College level. Please contact your HDR Convener or Administrator for information about these activities;
- participating in an ANU-wide HDR Supervision forum or workshop, organised by the HDR Supervision Development Team. The program is available to view on the HDR supervision development workshops webpage;
- completing at least two chapters of the Supervising Doctoral Studies online resources, which you can access through the ANU HDR Supervision Development Portal. These Wattle-hosted resources (course code: HDRS_Portal) include a tool which suggests chapters most relevant for your level of supervisory experience. Each chapter takes around 30 minutes to complete.
These qualifying renewal activities are pre-approved by the Dean HDR. Others are possible, but require the Dean HDR’s prior approval. Please contact the HDR Supervision Development Team with suggestions or to request the Dean’s approval.
2) ANU HDR Supervision: Annual Policy and Practice Update
The update is a set of 10 slides, available to view on the HDR supervision annual policy and practice update webpage. Links to the source material appear on the same webpage.
Reviewing the slides will take no more than 10 minutes.
3) Completing and submitting the HDR Supervision Annual Registration Renewal Form
The Renewal Form can be completed and submitted within 10 minutes.
Each registered supervisor will receive an individual email invitation to renew their registration in March, with reminders in July and October. If you don’t receive your invitation, please check your Clutter and Junk email folders for a message from “ANU HDR Supervision Development Team (email@example.com)”.
Each email contains a link to your individual Renewal Form. You should complete your Qualifying Renewal Activity and review the ANU HDR Supervision: Annual Policy and Practice Update before completing the Form.
The Form asks you to confirm that you have completed a Qualifying Renewal Activity and reviewed the ANU HDR Supervision: Annual Policy and Practice Update. It invites you to reflect on your HDR supervisory practice over the past year, and plans to develop your practice over the coming year.
After submitting the Form, you’ll receive a copy for your records. A copy will also be sent to your HDR Convener and College Associate Dean/Director HDR for their information, and for follow-up where appropriate.
The HDR Supervision Development Team will process your renewal. This is a manual process, so confirmation is not immediate. You will then receive an automated ANU HDR Supervisor Registration/Renewal – completed email.
Please refer to the HDR supervision registration and renewal FAQs webpage. If your question isn’t addressed there, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.