Frequently asked questions

1. Who will approve the licence application?

The Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission will approve the licence application.

2. Will claims arising from travel to and from work be covered under the new self-insurance model?

Similar to current entitlements under the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation (SRC) Act 1988, claims arising from travel to and from work will not be covered.

3. How will workers’ compensation entitlements change?

There will be no change to entitlements as under self-insurance the University will still be regulated by the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation (SRC) Act 1988.

4. What processes will be in place to ensure that the University treats claimants fairly when the consequence of a successful claim will bring cost to the University?

Entitlements of all claimants will continue to be in accordance with the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (SRC) Act 1988. The legislation doesn't change whether the University is a premium paying agency or a self-insurance licence holder. All claimants with an open workers' compensation claim will have an assigned dedicated Claims Services Officer through a third party provider of claims management (Comcare) and a Rehabilitation Case Manager (RCM) within the University to provide information and support to achieve successful rehabilitation outcomes. The provision of rehabilitation and claims management services will be in accordance with the National Self-Insurance licence criterion standards which will be externally audited and reported to the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission (SRCC) on an annual basis. A dedicated governance framework for claims management systems is currently under development as an ANU procedural document (to be made available to all staff) - which will detail the quality management system standards required for claims and rehabilitation management standards.

5. How will resources be directed to supporting the WHS Management System in order to maintain self-insurance once it is achieved. How will we (ANU) achieve our goals and support a work life balance?

ANU has a primary duty of care to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of all staff, students, contractors and visitors while they are in an ANU workplace. As identified from external audits conducted previously, the University required a significant review of its safety management system to ensure that we meet legislative and regulatory requirements. A revision of governance arrangements is critical to this improvement process - which includes senior management commitment, risk management, auditing, and reporting all of which are base line requirements and consistent with National Self-Insurers Audit requirements. 

6. Is there any risk or ambiguity when using a work car for work-related tasks e.g. pro bono work for schools/groups as an ANU representative?

Staff can claim workers compensation if they think they have sustained an injury due to your work, while travelling for work or work-related business. This will apply in all situations where staff are performing approved work-related tasks on behalf of the ANU (such as attending school group presentations).  To resolve any ambiguity about whether this is an approved activity, one option may be to have an approval email from a direct supervisor for the activity, or for the individual to complete a travel eform detailing travel requirements. However, please note the SRC Act excludes any injury while travelling between home and usual place of work and any claims for personal injury would need to be submitted through Compulsory Third Party (CTP) provisions of your private car insurance company.

7. Who manages worker’s compensation claims under self-insurance?

ANU has explored alternative options for the provision of claims management services and is entering into an enhanced co-located claims management service arrangement with Comcare. These services will be provided by Comcare for a period of 2 years. The University intends to build up its own capability to manage its workers’ compensation claims over time, but will do so with the assistance and support of Comcare. This includes the training of internal claims management and administration resources to ensure a smooth transition to self-insurance.

8. Will active claimants be notified?

Yes, all active claimants with an open workers’ compensation claim have been notified via a direct letter which was sent on 15 August 2017.

9. When will Comcare staff members come on board at the University?

It is proposed that Comcare staff members will commence the co-located arrangement at the end of January 2018.

10. Will my Claims Services Officer (CSO) or Rehabilitation Claims Manager (RCM) change?

Your current Claims Services Officer and Rehabilitation Claims Manager will not change with the transition to self-insurance arrangements.

11. From 1 July 2018, where do I send correspondence/invoices/receipts?

Via email:

Post to:

Claims Management Team

Work Environment Group – Human Resources Division

10B East Road, Chancelry Building

The Australian National University

Acton ACT 2601  

12. How will the procedure for claiming medical/pharmaceutical expenses change effective 1 July 2018?

From 1 July 2018 there is no longer a requirement to complete a Comcare Medical Services Claim Form. Any invoice for payment or an expense that needs to be reimbursed can be sent via email to for the claims management team to action.

13.  How will the administration change from Comcare to ANU for workers’ compensation effect the fortnightly pension, where applicable)?

The incapacity payments that a person is currently receiving from Comcare will not change with the transition to self-insurance arrangements. The person will continue to be paid into the bank account on a fortnightly basis (as per the details provided by the individual) – as per the current amount. The only difference is that the payment will be made through the ANU payroll system instead of Comcare direct.

14. What changes should I let the University know of?

You should write to the University about any of the following changes in your circumstances, if you:

  • change your address
  • change you name
  • change you bank details (if you receive fortnightly payments from ANU)
  • engage in an employment (whether paid or unpaid)
  • get a pension, allowance or benefit
Page owner: Human Resources