Named after the School of Music's founding Director, Ernest Llewellyn, Llewellyn Hall is Canberra's premier concert hall and is one of the finest acoustic venues in Australia. It has a seating capacity of 1335; 960 in the stalls and 375 in the gallery. Professional audio & lighting is provided.
Llewellyn Hall ANU
School of Music
100 William Herbert Place
The Australian National University
ACTON ACT 2601
To book tickets for major Llewellyn Hall events visit Ticketek call 1300 665 915.
Opened in September 1976, by the then Governor General Sir John Kerr, the School of Music building is a grand architectural statement in the 'Brutalist' style. The building was designed for the National Capital Development Commission in 1970 by architects Daryl Jackson and Evan Walker from the firm Jackson Walker; Daryl Jackson would go on to build an international reputation and company, with offices in several Australian capital cities and also in London. The site had been the oval for the old Canberra High School and was chosen for its ability to link The Australian National University campus with the Canberra city centre.
Internationally distinguished Australian violinist Ernest Llewellyn had been director of Canberra's School of Music since 1965 when the school had been established and housed in temporary accommodation at Manuka. In the early 1970s when Ernest Llewellyn was given the approval to proceed with his plans for a new centre of musical learning in Canberra, he envisioned a school of music that would not only be a centre of creativity and performance but also be the home of a world-class concert venue. Ernest Llewellyn had insisted from the outset that the building should be located on a site that was both central to The Australian National University and the city centre, easily accessible for both students and patrons.
Llewellyn Hall underwent a $10 million transformation during 2008 which included honey coloured wood panelling, warm floor boards and a graceful curve of red seating. The hall's appearance is magnificent but at the core of the renovation was the directive to achieve the best acoustics possible. The stalls and stage area was completely remodelled to achieve this goal. Much greater intimacy has been achieved between musician and patron by moving the stalls seating closer to the stage and the seating rake has been optimised for sound and sightlines. Altogether, 1800 square metres of Ironbark flooring were used, together with 5 cubic metres of Spotted Gum for stair nosing's and trims. In addition, nearly 15 cubic metres of European Beech needed to be profiled for the acoustic fins on the walls.
The School of Music building is listed on the Commonwealth Heritage List (CHL).