Standard advertising means to publicise a vacancy external to the University to ensure that we have:
- a large pool of possible candidates to select from
- the ability to seek 'specialist' expertise in a particular field by advertising in specific websites or journals
- an opportunity to undertake labour-market testing to ensure we are employing the best possible candidates through a competitive process.
Some common places that an external advertisement may be seen are; ANU Web, Seek Online, Uni Jobs, My Career and Journals.
Vacancies will be placed in the relevant publication/s and will also be placed on the web, with unrestricted access.
The closing date for applications must be no less than 7 working days from the date of advertisement.
All vacancies are checked against staff seeking redeployment prior to advertising in accordance with clause 6.4 of The Australian National University Enterprise Agreement. The Human Resources Division holds positions for 48 hours prior to advertising for this process.
ANU restricted advertising
Vacancies can be limited to ANU current staff and appear on ANU jobs page under internal vacancies.
Positions that can be advertised within ANU only:
- all general staff positions
- academic level A positions only
The closing date for applications must be no less than 5 working days from the date of advertisement.
Some things to consider:
- advertising a position within ANU only will limit the pool of potential candidates
- only current ANU staff can apply for these positions
- a vacancy advertised only within ANU can also be an Expression of Interest (EOI).
When advertising within ANU only might be considered:
- when internal skills are most appropriate for the role
- when it is known that suitable applicants are available internally
- when a vacancy is temporary.