Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help given to someone developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. First aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis resolves. Mental health problems are common, there is stigma associated with mental health problems and many people do not recognise mental health problems. Professional help is not always available and many people do not know how to help.
The following MHFA courses are available for University staff.
Standard Mental Health First Aid Course - 2 day duration (Course code SHHR02)
Participants attending this two day workshop will learn the signs and symptoms of mental health problems, where and how to get help and the help that has proven to be effective.
- 24 - 25 March 2020: 9am - 4pm, China in the World Seminar Room
- 23 - 24 June 2020: 9am - 4pm, China in the World Seminar Room
- 24 - 25 November 2020: 9am - 4pm, China in the World Seminar Room
$50.00 per participant.
Standard Mental Health First Aid Course Refresher - 4 hours duration (Course Code SHHR04)
Refresher courses are 4 hour face-to-face courses that allow people who have previously completed a 12 or 14 hour Mental Health First Aid course to refresh their knowledge and skills. For people who are Accredited MHFAiders, the refresher courses offer an opportunity to extend their accreditation for a further 3 years.
- 26 February 2020: 9am – 1.00pm, WEG Training Room, Building 10B Lower Ground
- 19 May 2020: 9am – 1.00pm, WEG Training Room, Building 10B Lower Ground
- 28 October 2020: 9am – 1.00pm, WEG Training Room, Building 10B Lower Ground
$20.00 per participant.
Mental Health First Aid Engaging Leaders - 90 minute session (Course Code SHHR05)
MHFA: Engaging Leaders is a 90-minute session that provides information to senior leaders, decision-makers and influences about how MHFA can support mentally healthy workplaces.
- 12 February 2020: 10am – 11.30am, McDonald Room, Menzies Library
- 13 May 2020: 10am – 11.30am, McDonald Room, Menzies Library
- 12 August 2020: 10am – 11.30am, McDonald Room, Menzies Library
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course with fees of $100 or less, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00.
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
To apply for these courses; ANU staff should enrol via HORUS.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code