As a branch of the University’s executive, the First Nations Portfolio works with colleagues across the University to ensure the ANU is a world leader in teaching and research of First Nations issues. It also works to ensure that the University makes a leading contribution to national policy in the relationship between Indigenous Australians and the nation.
The Portfolio enables the University to provide leadership on national policy discourse and decisions that impact First Nations peoples, and be an employer and educator of choice for Indigenous Australians by:
- Providing leadership and strategic direction across the University
- Facilitating research and policy impact
- Supporting Indigenous community engagement
- Supporting Indigenous students throughout their time at the University
- Advising on Indigenous staff recruitment and wellbeing
- Facilitating the integration of Indigenous knowledge and perspectives into the curriculum
Indigenous equity and engagement is not the preserve of any one unit in the ANU but rather will be embedded as part of our normal business through the University, as we embrace the principle ‘Nothing about us without us’.
The First Nations Portfolio is led by the Vice-President First Nations, Professor Peter Yu – a Yawuru man from Broome in the Kimberley region in North West Australia with over 40 years experience in Indigenous development and advocacy in the Kimberley and at the state, national and international level.
Our teams & contacts