Who should attend
All academic and professional staff.
Engagement with Indigenous Australia is a key strategic priority under the ANU Strategic Plan 2017‑2021. Cultural awareness training will provide staff with introductory awareness to build broader and deeper relationships and collaborations with Indigenous Australians.
This half-day interactive workshop will provide staff at all levels with an introduction to Indigenous history and culture in Australia, and an opportunity to share and learn stories from personal and work experiences.
At the conclusion of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Understand Aboriginal history and culture in Australia and how it affects current work practices and Aboriginal people in today’s society
- Understand how to enhance engagement with Indigenous people through communicating effectively and changing behaviours and attitudes
- Recognise the impact of words and behaviour through sharing and learning of stories – personal and work experiences
Presenter Dave Widders is an Anaiwan man from Armidale New South Wales (NSW) and is also connected with the Kamilaroi mob of North West NSW (Moree). Dave has worked in Aboriginal communities across Australia from urban, regional and remote areas and has been accepted by the local Aboriginal people respectively. Dave is driven by a passion to make a difference for Aboriginal people and make a push towards a positive reconciliation across the wider community which Dave believes can only happen with a two-way education process.
$137.50 per participant
The following charges will apply for non-attendance at a workshop with cost unless the registrant nominates a colleague (who meets the eligibility criteria for the course) to attend in their place.
- Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to 100% of course fees
- Notification of cancellation received within 6 – 10 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to 50% of course fees
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
To apply for this course; ANU staff should enrol via HORUS and students via ISIS.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code