The University uses Telstra as our corporate carrier. All ANU mobile devices such as handset, tablets, laptops and wifi devices, should be connected to the Telstra network on the appropriate Telstra corporate plan. All ANU devices should be password protected to ensure that any information on the device is not accessible if the device is lost.
Requesting a Device
Any requests to purchase a mobile device or to make changes to a service will need approval from your business administrator or supervisor and will need to be logged by them on the Service Desk.
Only authorised people are able to contact Telstra to make any changes.
All iPhones require an ANU iTunes account to be set up when the handset is first activated. The ITS Service Desk will configure all new devices before they are deployed.
All data backups for any mobile device is the responsibility of the user.
Mobile Voice Plans
Under the new contract, all devices will be placed on a casual plan so there will be no early termination fees if a service is disconnected.
You can select one of the following voice plans for your mobile handset.
CMP5 – $5 per month.
This plan includes $5 worth of voice calls. Once you have used $5 of calls, subsequent calls are charged at the rate of $0.05 per 30 seconds. MMS and SMS will be charged at the rate of $0.10 per message.
This plan does not include a data plan. See Mobile Data Plans below.
CMP25 – $25 per month.
This plan includes unlimited voice calls to fixed line, mobiles, 13 and 1300 numbers within Australia as well as unlimited MMS and SMS messages.
This plan does not include a data plan. See Mobile Data Plans below.
CMP130 – $130 per month.
This plan includes unlimited voice calls to fixed line, mobiles, 13 and 1300 numbers within Australia as well as unlimited calls to all international destinations.
This plan also includes a 40GB national data allocation as well as roaming inclusions of unlimited calls, SMSs and 1.5GB of data per month.
Mobile Data Plans
All mobile handsets on voice plans CMP5 and CMP25 will be placed on the $24.00 per month, 2GB data plan. Excess data usage charges are $0.09 per MB.
Mobile handsets on the CMP130 plan have 40GB per month of data included in the plan.
All mobile tablets, Wi-Fi and laptop devices will be placed on a $29, 2GB per month data plan.
- Unused monthly voice or data allocations are not carried over to the next billing period. The billing cycle ends on the 5th of each month and the data and voice counters reset at that time.
- Fair usage charges will apply to CMP130 users who continually exceed their included data allowance.
- All services connected to a data plan will receive SMS messages advising the user as mobile data is used.
- An average telephone call is approximately 2 minutes 30 seconds long so the monthly call allocation will allow for about 20 calls before excess call charges are applied. If you are regularly exceeding your monthly call allowance, it may be advisable that you upgrade to the CMP25 plan.
- The Telstra 24/7 app will allow you to see how much 4G data you've used during the billing period. You will need to turn wireless off for the 24/7 app to work. Make sure you turn wifi back on again when you've finished.
If you are experiencing problems with your device there are several simple steps that you can do before you log a fault.
- Turn the power off then back on again. This should be done periodically.
- Reset network settings.
- Restore your device to factory default. Make sure you have backed up your device first.
Attached is a web link for mobile support that provides an interactive guide for smart phones, mobiles and tablets. Just choose your device to learn how to set up email, organise contacts, access the internet, get help with messaging and apps, and much more. http://www.telstra.com.au/account-services/mobile-support/
If none of these steps fix your problem, log a job on the Service Desk and include details of your device make and model and the mobile and IMEI number. The IMEI number can be found by dialing *#06# on the mobile phone.
Devices that have been wet or dropped are not covered by warranty. Typical costs for repair to a new iPhone or Samsung Galaxy are around $500+ and can take a week or more to be returned. Any repair costs will be charged to your work area. ITS do not have spare handsets to replace devices sent away for repair.
If you have lost your mobile device you need to have the service suspended as soon as possible. For out of business hours call Telstra on 1800 730062 option 3, option 2 and ask them to suspend the service. You should advise your supervisor once you have suspended the service as soon as possible.
Other Mobile Devices
All other devices such as iPads, tablets, wifi hotspots or SIM only services are connected to the following plan by default:
DATA: $29 per month. This plan includes 2GB of data usage per month. Unused data is not carried over.
If you intend to travel overseas and you are taking an ANU mobile device with you, please be aware your device will be covered for voice and data usage on the Telstra International $10 Roaming (IR) Day Pass plan.
All ANU mobile devices on the CMP5 or CMP25 plans are covered by the IR Day Pass and there will be no exceptions.
Included value per day:
- Unlimited voice and SMS
- 100Mb (excess data charged at $0.03/Mb)
- Your Day Pass will only activate on the days you use your device to call, text or use data overseas.
- A single day is measured in Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). Commencing at 12:00am and concluding at 11:59pm AEST.
- This means that any calls, SMS or data you use in this time period will be charged as a single day AEST. You will be charged for each day or part thereof that your Day Pass has been activated.
- For example: If you first use Roaming at 8:00am in London, England, the equivalent AEST is 7:00pm. Therefore, you will be charged for the first day in full and your second day of usage will refresh at 1:00pm London time which is 12:00am AEST. Your Day Pass will refresh each day at 12:00am AEST until you cease roaming.
- Charging Event means: a) An originating outgoing SMS, MMS made from an Eligible Country; b) A received call, MMS received in an Eligible Country; c) Any sent or received data that is sent from or received in an Eligible Country; and d) An originating call made from an Eligible Country.
The IR Daypass is available for use in the following countries:
Papua New Guinea
Changing Ownership of a Mobile Service
Occasionally a service needs to be transferred to or from the ANU corporate account. The service number will be transferred to you on a personal casual account with Telstra. Once the service has been transferred, you can change the plan with Telstra to something more suitable or you can transfer the service to another carrier without incurring any Eligible Termination Charges (ETCs).
We will not transfer a service directly to another company.
Whether you are transferring a service into or out of the ANU, it will need to be approved and logged on the Service Desk by your business administrator or supervisor.
If you are leaving the ANU and are using an iPhone and it is linked to your personal iTunes account, it will need to be restored to factory settings before you hand it back.