If you have experienced any form of sexual assault recently or in the past, and need crisis support, confidential counselling or other advice or support, contact: Canberra Rape Crisis Centre (CRCC) Crisis Line 6247 2525, (Text mobile: 0488586581) 7am-11pm any day of the year, including public holidays).
Canberra Rape Crisis Centre (CRCC) offers a crisis service between 7am and 11pm, 365 days of the year, as well as a 24 hour crisis callout service to police and hospitals following recent sexual assaults. CRCC provides confidential counselling and support for women, children and young people, men and families who have experience or been effected by any form of sexual assault recently or in the past. Beyond this, the CRCC also offers:
- Advocacy and information
- Support through all legal and medical processes, including court preparation
- Information on legal and medical processes
- Referral to relevant agencies, services and government departments
- Support for family and friends
- Education workshops for schools, organisations and the community
- Support groups for survivors of sexual assault
- A free community library service
If you have experienced or are affected by domestic violence and need crisis support, confidential counselling or other advice or support, contact: Domestic Violence Crisis Service (DVCS) 24 Hour Crisis Line 6280 0900, (TTY 6228 1852)
The Domestic Violence Crisis Service (DVCS) provides crisis intervention, advocacy, referral, information, support and practical assistance for people subjected to, or using, violence and abuse in relationships, giving priority to those subjected to violence. The Domestic Violence Crisis Service provides:
- information and referrals for women, men and young people
- facilitation of access to safe accommodation i.e. refuges, motel
- education in schools and in the community Court support for those who have been subjected to violence.
- support for family and friends of those affected by domestic violence
- works cooperatively with other agencies to reduce the incidence of domestic violence in the community.
Victim Support ACT is a service that can help victims of crime to cope with the impact of what has happened, and can help them access their rights and entitlements.
Victim Support ACT has two main services. The Victims Services Scheme (VSS) provides support, counselling and other services. The Justice Advocacy Unit (JAU) will help with information,advocacy and assistance with the criminal justice system, your rights and entitlements.
Phone: 1800 8222 72
Lifeline - 13 11 14 (24 hour helpline)
Lifeline Canberra takes calls from people who are in need of support at times of crisis. The crisis may be large or small, immediate or ongoing; whatever the situation counsellors provide impartial, non-judgmental, confidential counselling. People call Lifeline's 24 hour crisis support service about many things including:
- Abuse and trauma
- Physical or mental wellbeing
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
- Stresses from work, family or society
- Information for friends and family.