Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help given to someone developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. First aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis resolves. Mental health problems are common, there is stigma associated with mental health problems and many people do not recognise mental health problems. Professional help is not always available and many people do not know how to help.
Participants attending this two day workshop will learn the signs and symptoms of mental health problems, where and how to get help and the help that has proven to be effective.
Who should attend
This course is designed for all academic and professional staff.
At the end of the program participants will be able to:
- Understand the signs and symptoms of mental health problems
- Know where and how to get help
- Know the help that has proven to be effective
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include:
Developing mental health problems:
• Anxiety problems
• Substance use problems
Mental health crises:
• Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
• Non-suicidal self-injury
• Panic attacks
• Traumatic events
• Severe psychotic states
• Severe effects from alcohol or drug use
When can I attend
- 1 & 2 June 2017, 9:00 am – 3:30pm
- 22 & 23 November 2017, 9:00 – 3:30pm
$50.00 per participant.
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course with fees of $100 or less, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
- Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00.
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
To apply for these courses; ANU staff should enrol via HORUS.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code