Who should attend
All academic and professional staff.
This two hour workshop will provide staff at all levels with an introduction to the principles of inclusion and diversity and their responsibilities under relevant ANU policies and discrimination laws.
The program will include practical exercises that enable participants to develop confidence in implementing inclusive practices in their work areas. Grounded in the University policy framework, the course will build an understanding of principles of equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion, examine staff responsibilities and provide tools, skills and practical actions for achieving an inclusive workplace.
At the conclusion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Equity, diversity and inclusion: Understand the key principles, and why they are important in the culture of an organisation
- What are your responsibilities? Anti-discrimination laws in Australia, key definitions, concepts of direct and indirect discrimination, staff responsibilities under the ANU policy framework
- How do I break down barriers? Recognising the impact of exclusion, prejudice and stereotypes, challenging preconceptions and modelling inclusive behaviours and language
- How do we move towards an inclusive work and study environment? Explore best practice models and engage with different perspectives and experiences
The workshop is delivered by the University’s Equity and Diversity Consultant.
This course is free to ANU staff.
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course without fees, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
a. Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code