Who should attend
All academic and professional staff
This half day interactive workshop will look at culture from the perspective of behaviour that we can observe as well as hidden cultural drivers. The workshop will also look at the way in which culture manfiests and how you can navigate cultural difference to make collaboration easier and more effective. You will discover your own cultural lens, and skills with which to access and understand the perspectives of your diverse clients and colleagues.
This workshop will explore the following areas:
- Describe what culture is and the relevance to your work;
- Recognise behaviours that vary across cultures including communication styles, interpersonal relations, showing respect and shared values and meanings;
- Identify typical intercultural communication challenges;
- Develop and apply strategies to maximise effectiveness.
At the conclusion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Recognise one’s own cultural context and how it might differ from people you engage with from other cultural contexts;
- Prepare for intercultural interactions in a work context and apply different perspectives using the S.U.R.F* approach;
- Successfully navigate culturally diverse workplaces;
- Communicate and collaborate effectively to achieve business outcomes.
* S = Stop and suspend judgement; U = Use your observation and listening skills; R = Recognise and respect difference; F = Find common ground and be flexible
This workshop will be delivered by a Beasley Intercultural facilitator.
Ramona Singh is a specialist intercultural trainer, learning and development practitioner, change manager and executive coach, who has provided organisational learning and change solutions to governments, businesses and universities across the Asia Pacific region for more than 20 years.
Matilda Emberson is a Senior Consultant with extensive experience in enabling workplace performance through the development and delivery of customised staff development programmes. With over 3,000 hours of executive coaching across the public, private and not for profit sectors Matilda brings extensive experience in enhancing leadership effectiveness and career progression.
Tamerlaine Beasley Founder and MD of the company, Tamerlaine is an expert presenter and facilitator who enables effective collaboration and communication in diverse and global workplaces. Examples of her work include: coaching and advising business leaders in Australia and Asia; working with global teams to optimise performance; developing a framework for training and capability building through international partnerships for APEC; building local staff capacity at the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific; leading the development of diversity and inclusion programs for the Australian Public Service Commission and the Department of Defence.
What participants have said about the program:
- Will help greatly in understanding the impacts you can have by being aware of the little differences in culture.
- Very beneficial and quite eye opening. Also a good chance for self evaluation, important in all aspects of your day, from work to social
- Great way to expand your understanding of other cultures and how we interact with each other
The following charges will apply for non-attendance at a workshop with cost unless the registrant nominates a colleague (who meets the eligibility criteria for the course) to attend in their place.
- 100% charge: Notification of cancellation received within 0–5 working days of the workshop date will incur a charge equivalent to 100% of course fees
- 50% charge: Notification of cancellation received within 6–10 working days of the workshop date will incur a charge equivalent to 50% of course fees
Please note that non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities will require reasonable evidence to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program
- Local area charging code