This online course will upgrade the chemical hazard management skills of staff and post-graduate students, with an emphasis on gases and cryogenic liquids.
There is a compulsory competency assessment at the end of the course and the training is valid for five years.
Who should attend
This course is designed for all staff and students working with chemicals, specifically gases and cryogenic liquids. In certain areas, it is a requirement for staff and students to successfully complete this course prior to work/study being carried out within the laboratory.
At the conclusion of this course participants will understand:
- The potential hazards associated with gases and cryogenics
- The dangers associated with pressure, extreme cold and asphyxiation
- The identification and hazards of gas
- The identification of gas contents
- Material Safety Data Sheets
- How to design a simple gas reticulation system
- Best practice in handling gas cylinders and cryogenics
- The handling and use of the gas container and its valves
- Emergency procedures
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include:
- Properties of gases and cryogenic liquids
- Safety with pressure
- Identification of gas cylinders
- Gas systems and equipment
- Safe use of compressed gases
When can I attend
- 6 April 2017, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- 7 September 2017, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
This course is free to ANU staff.
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course without fees, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
a. Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code