Who should attend
This online course is designed for all staff and students working with chemicals, specifically gases and cryogenic liquids. In certain areas, it is a requirement for staff and students to successfully complete this course prior to work/study being carried out within the laboratory.
This online course will upgrade the chemical hazard management skills of staff and post-graduate students, with an emphasis on gases and cryogenic liquids.
There is a compulsory competency assessment at the end of the course and the training is valid for five years.
At the conclusion of this course participants will understand:
- The potential hazards associated with gases and cryogenics
- The dangers associated with pressure, extreme cold and asphyxiation
- The identification and hazards of gas
- The identification of gas contents
- Material Safety Data Sheets
- How to design a simple gas reticulation system
- Best practice in handling gas cylinders and cryogenics
- The handling and use of the gas container and its valves
- Emergency procedures
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include:
- Properties of gases and cryogenic liquids
- Safety with pressure
- Identification of gas cylinders
- Gas systems and equipment
- Safe use of compressed gases
When can I enrol
The Compressed Gas and Cryogenic Safety (WHSC13) module is available on Wattle. It can be found by searching for OHSCGCS_2020 in Wattle.
This course is free to ANU staff.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program