This online module provides staff and students general knowledge in safety and health concepts relevant to chemicals, hazardous properties of materials, disposal and emergency procedures and hazardous substances legislation. Additional specialist courses are also presented for corrosives, flammables and compressed gas and cryogenics.
A competency assessment is compulsory for all participants to complete at the end of the course.
The training is valid for 5 years, after which the course should be repeated due to updates in legislation.
Who should attend
This online course is designed for staff and students who are working with chemicals within the University environment. In certain areas, it is mandatory for staff and students to successfully complete this course prior to work/study being carried out within the laboratory.
At the conclusion of this workshop participants will have an understanding of:
- Hazards and risks associated with chemical substances
- Safe storage and handling of chemical substances
- How to handle a spill or leak of a chemical substance
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include an understanding of:
- The University’s Chemical Management Policy and Procedures
- Chemical risk management, including OHS concepts and principles
- Hazardous chemicals, including carcinogenic and prohibited substance and chemical pneumonitis
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Standard laboratory practices and equipment
- developing chemical handling protocols
- labelling chemical containers
- laboratory spill management
- laboratory first aid
- personal protective equipment
- storage of chemicals
- chemical waste disposal
When are the courses held
Please select "Register Now" to review the upcoming workshops for this training program.
This course if free to ANU staff.
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course without fees, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
a. Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code