This online module provides staff and students with knowledge and information about risk assessment and control in a biological laboratory context. A competency assessment is compulsory for all participants to complete at the end of the course.
The training is valid for 5 years, after which the course should be repeated due to updates in legislation.
Who should attend
The course is designed for staff and students who are working with biological materials within the laboratory environment. In certain areas, it is a requirement for staff and students to successfully complete this course prior to work/study being carried out within the laboratory.
At the conclusion of this course participants will have an understanding of:
- The hazards associated with working in a biological laboratory
- Risk assessment and control of biological hazards
- The Australian Standard AS/NZS 2243.3 Microbiological safety and containment
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include:
- Biological risk management
- Laboratory-acquired infection
- Containment measures
- Standard laboratory facilities, practices and equipment
- Biological safety cabinets and related containment devices
- Sterilization, disinfection and decontamination
- Waste management
- Clinical specimens handling practices
- Gene technology practices
- Animal experimentation, housing and handling practices
- Quarantine practices
- Air transport of infectious substances
When can I attend
- 16 February 2017
- 26 July 2017
- 22 November 2017
This course is free to ANU Staff.
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course without fees, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
a. Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code