Before You Apply

REMS is now live and can be used to apply for and manage your animal ethics protocols and amendments. Detailed information on how researchers can be registered on REMS can be found in the REMS SharePoint site.


Attend Animal Ethics training 

To ensure high levels of animal welfare are maintained, ANU requires all animal researchers (across biomedical and wildlife research fields) to undertake training before beginning their research.

All staff and students working with animals at the ANU must be trained in Animal Ethics (online ANZCCART ComPass program) and must also undertake any theoretical and practical training applicable to their research requirements.

Further information on animal ethics training can be found on the Animal Ethics Training webpage.


Read codes, legislation and policies

The main document governing animal based research in Australia is the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes (NHMRC, 2013).

Under the animal welfare legislation in each Australian state and territory, following the Code is mandatory for all research and teaching using animals.

ANU researchers (including research students) also need to follow the responsibilities and requirements set out in the links below.

Additional guidelines can be found in the Animal Ethics Policies and Guidelines Library.


Apply for relevant licences and permits

Wildlife Training

The AEC requires investigators conducting studies that involve the capture and banding of bats or birds to complete appropriate training and hold the correct banding authority as required by the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme (ABBBS). For further information on training and levels of authority go to the ACT ABBBS Website: or contact ABBBS via: 
     Ph: (02) 6274 2407

State Licences and Permits

In order to approve research in other states and territories the University's AEC is registered with the relevant government departments in the ACT, NSW, VIC, TAS, QLD, SA and WA. If you are planning to conduct work in the NT please contact the Animal Ethics Team (

You are responsible for ensuring you have obtained the relevant approvals and licensing to conduct fieldwork at specific study sites. Work within national parks, nature reserves, state forests, botanical gardens, or private property may need the owner's or custodian's approval. 

Investigators conducting field work MUST check what permissions they need and, if required, obtain their own personal research permits from the relevant government departments in each state and territory before work commences. 

Copies of the licence/permit must be attached to your application or emailed to the Animal Ethics Team if the protocol has already been approved. Copies can also be attached to your annual reports.

If you are in the process of obtaining a licence/permit ensure it is noted in your REMS animal ethics application in the licence section.


Check whether specific rules or guidelines apply to your research

For some research topics, techniques, or locations, there are specific requirements and guidelines that you should take into account when writing an ethics application. For example, there are specific requirements/guidelines relating to:

  • Animals and Art
  • Microchipping in Tasmania
  • Use of Drugs in Research Animals

Go to Specific Research Areas to check whether there are specific requirements or guidelines for your research.

Page owner: Research Services