The Westpac Scholars Trust is partnering with Australia’s leading research universities to offer two Westpac Research Fellowships, each valued at over $360,000 over 3 years, with the option to extend to 5 years. These Fellowships offer early career researchers a unique opportunity to support their groundbreaking research, provide access to networks, open career pathways and global experiences. Fellowship recipients will be exceptional people, chosen for their intellectual ability, leadership qualities, and commitment to the community. Successful Fellows will be undertaking research that has the ability to make a difference to Australia’s future in one of the Trust’s priority areas:
- Technology and innovation
- Strengthening Australia-Asia ties
- Enabling positive social change
There are two Research Fellowships available nationwide.
How to apply
Applications for the 2020 Program opened 18 June 2019. Please see Key Dates on the right.
To be a successful candidate, you will need to demonstrate how your proposed research contributes to the growth and prosperity of Australia in at least one of the Foundation's focus areas.
You will also be able to demonstrate:
- Academic excellence and achievements to date;
- A supportive and high quality research environment;
- A desire to be part of and contribute to the Westpac 100 Scholars Network;
- A strong sense of connection to Australia and commitment to improving the lives of others;
- The attributes of a Westpac Research Fellow (See the Fellowship Guidelines for the full list of attributes); and
To check your eligibility, you must refer to Section 3 of the 2020 Westpac Research Fellowship – Funding Guidelines for the full list of eligibility attributes, including citizenship or residency status, period of conferral of PhD, and Eligibility Exemption requests.
You need to build into your Westpac Research Fellowship (WRF) proposal schedule time to consult with your Department/Research School/College to discuss the proposal and its budget, and to seek approval for these. When budgeting the WRF proposal, include salary gap (if there is one), all research proposal costs, and $5,000 for the Leadership 360 Program. These costs are to be met by your Research School/College. You should consult with your College Research Office for advice and assistance.
Should your WRF proposal be awarded, you can apply for Strategic Research Funds (SRF) ($30,000 in total) via your College Dean to the Office of DVC (R & I).
The Fellowship aims to free you from the need to apply for multiple sources of funding, allowing you to focus on your research. It includes:
1) Salary support for your position
The Fellowship will fund your fulltime salary and on-costs for a period of three years from the date of award. NEW! The three years of salary funding may be utilised within 5 years from date of award.
NEW! The Westpac Research Fellowship may not fund salaries of Fellows who are the recipients of another salary-funding Award (e.g. DECRA) at the same time. If you are currently on another salary-funding Award / Fellowship, or are the recipient of a salary-funding Award at the time the Westpac Research Fellowship (WRF) is awarded, you may request:
- a reallocation of the Westpac-funded amount ($330,000 or part thereof) to another needed resource related to your research e.g. research costs; and/or
- an extension of up to an additional two years to utilise the Westpac Research Fellowship salary funding.
These requests must be approved by the Westpac Scholars Trust and your host university and will be assessed on a case by case basis.
2) Opportunity for professional development and global experiences
The Fellowship will include access to a $30,000 Westpac Professional Development Fund provided and administered by the host university. The Westpac Professional Development Fund is to be used by the Fellow to tailor professional development and global experiences that maximise the Fellow’s potential to contribute in their area of research and enhance their career opportunities. This could include conferences, travel for research or experiences and courses that support leadership development.
NEW! The Leadership 360 Program is now a compulsory part of the WPDF and includes:
- comprehensive assessment of current leadership capability via a 360- feedback assessment, including a one-to-one debrief and
- yearly facilitated one day group workshop with all Westpac Research Fellows.
Updated June 2019.
For more information about this Fellowship, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your College Research Office.