The Development Grants scheme provides financial support to individual researchers and/or research teams to undertake health and medical research within Australia at the proof-of-concept stage that specifically drives towards a commercial outcome within a foreseeable timeframe.
Early stage research or knowledge creation research (fundable through the NHMRC Project Grant scheme) will not be funded through the Development Grants scheme.
The Development Grants scheme supports the commercial development of a product, process, procedure or service that, if applied, would result in improved health care, disease prevention or provide health cost savings.
Research supported by this scheme must, via a commercial business plan, have detailed feasible strategies for commercialisation that takes into account the regulatory pathway, protectable IP, commercial barriers and potential routes to market.
1. Each College deals with a different volume of applications, offers different services and has a different internal deadline.
- Contact your College Research Office and advise of your intent to submit an application.
- Ensure you are informed of internal deadlines and obtain any resources available to support you in preparing your application.
- Further information on the NHMRC’s New Grants Program, including Program Changes, the new Grants Management System (Sapphire) and Information Sessions and Workshops can be found here.
2. Documentation to apply can be found at GrantConnect, the Australian Government grants information system.
External Applicants: For information on how to apply for the NHMRC Centres of Research Excellence through the Australian National University please contact email@example.com.
Updated August 2018