Stage 3 of the HDR Examinations and Thesis Project has been released! For information on how to submit your thesis please see Submitting a Thesis
The Examinations and Graduations Office (EGAP) and the Service Improvement Group (SIG) have a project underway implementing digitalised and automated thesis submission and examination eForms. The aim is to provide an efficient and effective process for managing HDR thesis submission and examination, reducing examination times, and improving tracking and reporting.
What will it mean for staff and HDR students?
- The need to complete manual paper based request forms will be eliminated.
- Workflow and business processes will be standardised, simplified and streamlined.
- The process will be facilitated by two additional milestones on the candidature which can be completed through ISIS in the same way as existing milestones.
- Staff and students will be able to monitor the progress of the thesis examination throughout the process.
- Students will no longer need to supply printed copies of their thesis.
- Examiners will receive the thesis electronically eliminating time spent waiting for hard copies to be mailed
The upcoming changes are part of the ANU commitment to simplify and standardise HDR administrative support processes. Due to the complexity of the process, the work is being broken into components and will be released in three stages this year.
The approved IT solution being used is Infiniti (Intelledox software) which has previously been used to develop other Student eForms such as HDR Milestone Reporting and Manage My Degree eForms. The Intelledox Digital Transformation Centre (IDTC) has now commenced solution development using an Agile / iterative development approach.
Supporting documentation for Staff can be found at eForms Staff Support
Supporting documentation for Students can be found at Student Administration eforms
Release 1 - Released 16 March 2018
Release 1 is an update to the existing HDR Milestone Reporting and Manage My Degree (MMD) eForms. A demonstration of the changes can be seen in the video above.
Updates to HDR Milestone Reporting includes:
- A warning on the first page and the submission page of the form preventing further milestones from being completed if the student has not completed their Research Integrity Milestone.
- Milestone details on the top of each page including student name, UID, and Milestone type.
- A new thesis details page with information on how to change the thesis format as well as providing an opportunity to update the thesis title.
Updates to HDR Manage My Degree eForm includes:
- The Student Details page now has added thesis details.
- A New Change thesis details Action type is available to apply to change the thesis title, absract, format or intended submission date.
- New workflow for changing the thesis format. The form requires Primary supervisor endorsement and DA approval before making thesis format changes.
- Additional page to detail Papers and Publications if a thesis by compilation option is selected.
Release 2 - Released 8 May 2018
Release 2 introduces a new HDR Milestone type which allows students to lodge their nomination of intent to submit their thesis.
In this form, students can:
- Confirm their thesis title, abstract and expected date of submission,
- Upload a table of contents for their thesis,
- Provide suggestions for examiners who they believe should or should not examine their thesis, and
- Request restricted access or delayed release for their thesis, if required.
The form will also follow a dynamic workflow to assist the organisation of the examination. This includes: supervisor support, nomination & appointment of examiners and restricted access approval, if required. Notification of Intent to Submit Simplified Workflow (PDF, 158.3 KB)
Release 3 - Released 9 October 2018
Release 3 introduces another new HDR Milestone type which allows students to electronically upload their thesis for examination. This process also includes electronic thesis distribution, examination management, collation of examiner reports, payment for examiners, and College recommendation & award of grade. An additional HDR Milestone type has been introduced to manage any corrections to the thesis after examination.
To familiarise yourself with the project or for more information please visit the project web page, contact the Project Manager Kailee Fisher, or contact the HDR Examinations Office (EGAP) via email@example.com.