In December 2013, the ANU Email Consolidation project was completed and migrated staff, student and alumni email accounts into a single consolidated cloud based environment using the Microsoft Office 365 product suite.
There were 32 known email platforms in operation across the University. In addition to the centrally managed UDS email platform, several Colleges and/or areas within Colleges managed their own email platforms. These arrangements were a historical legacy, and there was little value but considerable cost in continuing to duplicate those services.
The project delivered the following outcomes / benefits:
- productivity improvements, robust security, reliability, and, greater IT control and efficiency
- migrated of all areas to Microsoft Office 365 by August 2013
- instant messaging through Microsoft Lync available via Outlook Web Application
- ability to send and receive email items larger than 25MB using Cloudstor
- increased inbox capacity from 25GB to 50GB
- utilising HTML5, the Outlook Web Application (OWA) is now faster and more accessible.
- Microsoft introduced new mobile app (OWA) to access ANU Email through App Store or Google Play
- improved anti-malware protection
- ability to share contact details
- single integrated calendaring across the University
- single and standardised point of support for email
- increased mail archiving through a 100GB archive (on top of the 50GB mailbox).