The Law Precinct is one of the oldest within the ANU campus and as such has significant heritage value in both the buildings and their use as the ANU College of Law.
The College attracts many eminent international academic visitors, members of the judiciary and other notable members of the community each year. In the coming years, the College buildings will be refurbished to provide modern teaching and learning spaces. Further, the project will develop an environment where students will be able to socialise and interact, encouraging them to spend more time on campus and develop a strong sense of belonging to the University community.
Building works on Stage 1 – Building 6 and the new teaching hub commenced in November 2017 with an anticipated completion for October 2018.
The project proposes an upgrade of internal spaces and new amenities to the precinct:
- new carpets, paint and amenity refurbishments
- upgrades to building services to provide year round thermal comfort
- replacement of all external windows, window sills and roofs
- a new single storey teaching hub (Moot Court) on the east wing of Building 6 to replace the existing smaller single storey structure
- a weatherproof link to Fellows Road Lecture Theatre
- reconfiguration of the internal spaces to provide improved modern workspace with shared amenity
- introduction of social and collaborative spaces that allow for students to linger and engage with the College outside of teaching or consultation hours contributing to the “sticky campus” concept.
There are various sustainability initiatives planned as a part of the project including:
- double glazed windows for buildings 5, 6 and 7
- minimising actively ventilated areas to Building 7 and teaching spaces
- passive ventilation for Buildings 5 and 6 with automated windows and fans
- upgrading to a more efficient central plant system
- energy efficient hot water system for the showers and toilets
- energy efficient boilers for heating; and
- reuse of furniture where possible.
Stage 1 building works are in progress, with the completion date for the Building 6 in July. It is expected for the teaching hub to be handed over in October 2018.
Services interfaces with adjoining buildings of the precinct are being monitored carefully as some areas are out of scope but may require mandatory upgrades for compliance. These areas include the areas of Fellows Road Lecture Theatres, Law Link Lecture Theatre, Law Lecture Theatre and Law Library.