About the project
The Law Precinct is one of the oldest within the ANU campus and as such has significant heritage value in both the buildings and their use as the ANU College of Law. The refurbishment project commenced in 2017 and will provide modern teaching and learning spaces with an environment which will support the social components of learning.
This project will deliver substantially renovated and refurbished buildings for the ANU College of Law. The scope of works includes:
- reconfiguration of the internal spaces to provide improved modern workspace with shared amenity
- new carpets, light fittings, paint and amenity refurbishment
- upgrade of the building services to provide year-round thermal comfort
- replace all external windows and window sills
- provision of a new single storey moot court and teaching hub on the east wing of Building #6.
The building works are being delivered in three stages:
- Stage 1: Building #6, comprises of academic offices, meeting rooms, teaching and learning spaces, Moot Court, and a link theatre;
- Stage 2: Building #7, comprises of academic & staff offices and meeting rooms;
- Stage 3: Building #5, comprises of academic & staff offices and meeting rooms (excluding works in the Law Library).
Overall, the three stages are planned for delivery between 2017 and 2019.
There are various sustainability initiatives planned as a part of the project including:
- double glazed windows for Buildings #5, #6 and #7
- minimising actively ventilated areas to Building #7 and teaching spaces
- passive ventilation for Buildings #5 and #6 with automated windows and fans
- upgrading to a more efficient central plant system
- energy efficient hot water system for the showers and toilets
- energy efficient boilers for heating; and
- reuse of furniture where possible.
The Building #6 refurbishment was completed in August 2018, with the simultaneous commissioning of all services in the building and training sessions for the building custodian and the end users. Staff commenced moving into the building in September 2018. Upon full commissioning of Building #6, the Stage 2 refurbishments on Building #7 will commence mid September 2018.