The Acton Ridge Axis will connect remote parts of the Acton campus and transform the look and feel of the area, linking Kambri to the Lennox Crossing.
The staged works commenced in April 2018 with the first stage focusing on the Crest, the southern-most section of the campus close to Balmain Crescent and child care centres. Areas will be converted back to green space, with a private garden feel. This will be a major improvement to the aesthetics of the landscape and with enhancements to the amenities in the space. The Crest improvements include the creation of a central path with flanking lawns and an enhanced entertaining area at the rear of the Centre for European Studies. The newly established car park close to the Acton Early Childhood Centre will be a flexible space, made available outside of business hours for social events such as markets and festivals.
The path will follow the existing route across the rear of the ANU College of Law, cross Fellows Road and then works to formalise the existing path along Sullivans Creek at Fellows Oval all the way to Winston Walk. A small gathering place will be built north of the Fellows Road overlooking the Creek as a place to meet, exercise, rest or gather on campus.
The Project Manager has continued the street and path lighting upgrade along Liversidge Street. The documentation for the remainder of 'The Crest' works have been finalised, demolition, civil and hydraulics contractors have been engaged and commenced works on site. Three temporary carparks have been prepared and opened in November 2018 allowing contractors to take possession of the main car park at the Crest to undertake major civil works.
Tenders for stage one have been issued and major trade packages have been let, construction documentation has also now been issued. Minor trade packages are still being tendered.
Stage One status: The Crest
- Temporary Traffic Management Plans have been approved off by all relevant parties. The Plans have been updated and car park closures are in affect until further notice.
- The electrical subcontractor has been engaged to install the street and path lighting along Liversidge Street. New path lights are being built on site.
- Smart pole and car park lighting plans have been approved and works are ready to commence shortly.
- All works associated with changing from overhead power-lines to underground power have been completed.
- High voltage conduits across the top of the Parkes Way Tunnel/Underhill Carpark have been encased in concrete to comply with Evoenergy's requirements.
- Implementation of three temporary carparks for ANU parking permit holders has been installed, all are now open for use.
- A new substation has been installed and connected.