Since 2016, ANU has been working on a project to develop a new park landscape area on the ANU Acton Campus on the site which formerly played host to the Old Administration Area.
Initially built as temporary structures from 1949, this area was the birthplace of ANU, many of the first University functions were housed here including the Chancelry, JCSMR labs, accounting, maintenance and administration. The ‘temporary’ buildings were adapted and used for 60 years. However, due to their condition, these buildings were removed in 2016 with approval from the Minister for the Environment. As part of this approval, ANU is committed to the celebration and commemoration of the important role these buildings played in the history of ANU, acknowledging its significance as the genesis of ANU.
The area is currently occupied by infrastructure related to the redevelopment of the Coombs and Law Buildings, but keep your eyes peeled for progress on this exciting project in the near future. In the meantime, check out the interpretive app ‘A Shed in a Paddock: The Beginnings of Our ANU’ available on android and apple devices.