The Acton Ridge Axis will connect remote parts of the Acton campus and transform the look and feel of the area, linking Kambri to the Lennox Crossing.
The staged works commenced in April 2018 with the first stage focusing on the Crest, the southern-most section of the campus close to Balmain Crescent and child care centres. Areas will be converted back to green space, with a private garden feel. This will be a major improvement to the aesthetics of the landscape and with enhancements to the amenities in the space. The Crest improvements include the creation of a central path with flanking lawns and an enhanced entertaining area at the rear of the Centre for European Studies. The newly established car park close to the Acton Early Childhood Centre will be a flexible space, made available outside of business hours for social events such as markets and festivals.
The path will follow the existing route across the rear of the ANU College of Law, cross Fellows Road and then works to formalise the existing path along Sullivans Creek at Fellows Oval all the way to Winston Walk. A small gathering place will be built north of the Fellows Road overlooking the Creek as a place to meet, exercise, rest or gather on campus.
Through May to July 2019 there will be three planned road closures on the Campus. These road closures will result in new pedestrian crossings being constructed. These works are required to upgrade the standard, quality and safety of the existing pedestrian crossings at these points on the roads.
The road closures are being planned to take place in two five-week programs of work. Two road closures will happen concurrently and be completed before works commence on a further and final road closure.
The following outlines the roads/areas of impact. No other roads or driveways are impacted and access to all carparks will be unaffected. Traffic Management Plans have been prepared and approved by ACT Government Transport Canberra City Services. Whilst there is every intention to keep the road closures to a minimum in accordance with the below schedule, however significant weather events (if they occur) may inadvertently cause delays.
Fellows Road at Sullivans Creek – closure 17 May - 1 July 2019
- Fellows Road closed from Sullivans Creek road up to and including the existing pedestrian crossing to the east side of the bridge.
- No impacts to car parks on either side of the road at ANU College of Law or Fellows Oval car park.
Balmain Crescent at the pedestrian crossing near the Grocer on Balmain – closure 17 May - 1 July 2019
- Balmain Crescent closed in the area immediately surrounding the existing pedestrian crossing.
- Parking bays at Grocer on Balmain unaffected, grocer deliveries and turn-around to be established at Gardens & Grounds service yard.
Garran Road at the pedestrian crossing near Hugh Ennor building – closure 2 July - 12 August 2019
- Garran Road from Fellows Road intersection up to and including pedestrian crossing near Hugh Ennor building.
- No impact to Graduate House parking or Hugh Ennor Building deliveries.
We appreciate this will cause inconvenience for vehicular movements around campus. It is planned that the works will take place whilst leaving alternate routes open and accessible throughout the campus. I would appreciate if you can please pass this information to your colleagues and parents/guardians who utilise your facilities.
The main trunk path of the Axis has been completed and is in use
· High voltage conduits across the top of the Parkes Way Tunnel/Underhill car park have been encased in concrete to comply with the Evoenergy requirements.
· New electrical switchboards and main distribution boards been installed.
· The new substation has been installed and connected.
· The new carpark has been completed and is in use, minor landscaping, steel works and line marking remain.
· Secondary driveways have been prepared and asphalt is to be installed through May 2019.
· The decks have been site measured and manufacturing is underway.
Stage One is anticipated to be complete by 6 May 2019.
Stage Two: ANU College of Law and Sullivans Creek
· Preliminary design has been undertaken to ensure that the Acton Ridge Axis project ties into Kambri.
· Surveying has been updated following on from the Kambri project and the path alignment has been agreed on, the civil and landscaping documentation is being updated.
Stage Three: South Oval and Trendall Glade
· The proposed path alignment around South Oval has been approved and documentation is proceeding.
· The survey has been completed and has been issued to the relevant consultants.
· These works are currently being scoped, ready for tender as soon as final drawings are issued.