This online module will provide participants with general information regarding the facilities, equipment, procedures and techniques necessary for the safe handling and use of radioactive materials (sealed and unsealed sources), including fundamental health physics, detection, natural sources, control techniques, storage, disposal, emergency procedures and legislation.
Who should attend
This online course is required for staff who are newly appointed radiation workers (intent to work with radioactive isotopes) to the University.
At the conclusion of this course participants will be able to:
- Understand and comply with relevant legislative requirements according to ANU ARPANSA Source Licence;
- Implement ionising radiation safety in the workplace (laboratory);
- Monitor ionising radiation hazards;
- Maintain records of radiation exposure; and
- Implement safe practices in the use, storage, transport and disposal of radioactive materials.
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include:
- Radiation protection principles
- Protection from external radiation hazards
- Workshop: rules of thumb, radiation protection calculations
- Shielding of ionising radiation
- Workshop: shielding & half value layers
- Protection from internal radiation hazards
- Biological effects of radiation
- Ionising radiation in the environment
- Use of radioactive isotopes in laboratory
This course is free to ANU staff.
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course without fees, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
a. Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code