On 9 October 2018, the final stage of the Thesis Submission and Examination (T&E) project was released, marking the successful completion of a collaborative 18 month project involving many key stakeholders across the ANU. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this initiative.
The objective of the T&E project was to implement a digitalised and automated thesis submission and examination eForm. It aimed to provide an efficient process for managing thesis submission and examination, reduce examination times and improve tracking and reporting.
Some of the benefits delivered by the project include:
- The need to complete manual request forms has been eliminated.
- Workflow and business processes have been standardised, simplified, and streamlined.
- Staff and students are able to monitor the progress of the thesis examination throughout the process.
- Examiners receive thesis electronically, eliminating time spent waiting for hard copies to be mailed.
The project was delivered in three stages, enabling ongoing review and consideration of business transformation initiatives and ensuring lessons learnt and suggested improvements from previous stages were taken into account in subsequent project work. These stages were:
- Stage 1 (released 16th March 2018) – Changes to existing HDR Milestone Reporting and Manage My Degree – HDR eForms to allow candidates to update their working thesis title, provide information on Open Access and Orchid as well as amend their working format, abstract and intended submission date.
- Stage 2 (released 8 May 2018) – Go-live of a new Notification of Intent milestone for HDR candidates. This milestone covers the student nomination of their intent to submit a thesis and application for restrict access (RA) should they need it. The process then enables steps in the preparation for the examination process, with a workflow that covers nomination of examiners and RA approval.
- Stage 3 (released 9 October 2018) – Go-live of the Thesis Submission and Examination milestone eForm. This milestone allows students to electronically upload their thesis for examination. This process also includes electronic thesis distribution, examination management, collation of examiner reports, payment for examiners, College recommendation & award of grade and automatic upload to the Library’s digital thesis repository. An additional HDR Milestone type has also been introduced to manage any corrections to the thesis after examination.
More information on the project can be found at the HDR Examinations and Thesis Submission Project Page.
Information on the new process for Submitting a Thesis can be found at the Submitting a Thesis Page.
For more information about eForms visit the Student Administration eForms page.