This online course, which is an extension of the Chemical Safety course, will upgrade the chemical hazard management skills of staff and post-graduate students, with an emphasis on flammable liquids. Participants need to have previously completed the general Chemical Safety course.
There is a compulsory competency assessment at the end of the course and the training is valid for five years.
Who should attend
This course is designed for staff and students who are working with chemicals, specifically flammable liquids. In certain areas, it is a requirement for staff and students to successfully complete this course prior to work/study being carried out within the laboratory.
At the conclusion of this course participants will understand:
- The hazards associated with flammable liquids
- The safe handling and storage of flammable liquids
- How to handle a spill or leaking flammable liquids
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include:
- Flammable liquid definitions and properties
- Risk associated with the use of flammable liquids
- Storage requirements
- Handling precautions and equipment
When can I attend
- 18 May 2017, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- 20 September 2017, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
This course is free to ANU staff.
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course without fees, the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
a. Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code