This two hour workshop, facilitated by the University’s Diversity Consultant, will provide staff at all levels with an introduction to the principles of inclusion and diversity and their responsibilities under relevant ANU policies and discrimination laws.
The program will involve a presentation, open discussion and practical exercises that encourage maximum participation and enable participants to develop confidence in implementing inclusive practices in their work areas. Grounded in the University policy framework, the course will build an understanding of principles of equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion, examine staff responsibilities and provide tools, skills and practical actions for achieving an inclusive workplace.
Who should attend
For academic and professional staff, at all levels, who want to contribute to an inclusive University environment which capitalises on diverse perspectives, skills and experience.
At the conclusion of this program participants will be able to:
- Understand principles of equity, diversity and inclusion and why they are important
- Understand their responsibilities under relevant ANU policies and discrimination laws, and
- Confidently apply this knowledge through practical actions that promote an inclusive workplace culture
What the course will cover
Topics addressed will include:
- Equity, diversity and inclusion: Understand the key principles, and why they are important in the culture of an organisation
- What are your responsibilities? Anti-discrimination laws in Australia, key definitions, concepts of direct and indirect discrimination, staff responsibilities under the ANU policy framework
- How do I break down barriers? Recognising the impact of exclusion, prejudice and stereotypes, challenging preconceptions and modelling inclusive behaviours and language
- How do we move towards an inclusive work and study environment? Explore best practice models and engage with different perspectives and experiences
When can I attend
Please select "Register Now" to review the upcoming workshops for this training program.
$20.00 per participant
For non-attendance/cancellation of a course with fees of $100 or less (typically those courses which are internally facilitated or centrally funded courses), the following charges will apply, unless the registrant nominates a colleague who meets the eligibility criteria for the course to attend in their place:
- Notification of cancellation received within 0 – 5 working days of the course date will incur a charge equivalent to $100.00
Please note for non-attendance due to illness or caring responsibilities, reasonable evidence will be required to waive the non-attendance fee.
A requirement of the registration process is to discuss and obtain the following from your supervisor:
- Approval to attend the training program; and
- Local area charging code