Participant Information Sheet
ANU aims to continuously improve the application process and experience for the benefit of its students. To assist in this process, we are asking students how ANU can assist students to help accept their offers sooner.
One of the key objectives of ANU has been to improve the student experience. Since no prior research on student offer acceptance behaviour exists for ASA applicants, the survey will provide insight into what could encourage students accept their ANU offer earlier.
Benefits to participants
Participants in this project will have the opportunity to provide insight into their experience of applying at ANU and what made them accept their offer at a later date. The findings will help ANU navigate any application challenges faced by students and how to rectify/prevent them.
Risks to participants
The survey uses non-invasive questions to ask participants about what made them accept their offer very close to the deadline and how ANU could have assisted them in this regard. The risk to participants is assessed as very low and your participation will have no effect on your relationship with ANU.
This survey has been developed by Marketing Insights and Intelligence, MSRD.
There are no agencies external to the ANU involved in the conduct of this project, and this activity does not form the basis of academic research.
- Voluntary Participation & Withdrawal: Your participation in the project is voluntary, you are in no way required to participate, and you may, without negative consequences, decline to take part or withdraw from the research without providing an explanation at any time. If you do withdraw, your data will be destroyed and not used.
- What does participation in the research entail? You will be asked to complete a survey received in your email. The survey will ask questions about the reason of not accepting the ANU offer sooner and if the university could have done anything to help students accept their offer sooner.
- Location and Duration: The survey will be conducted online and is estimated to take 5 minutes to complete.
- Remuneration: In recognition of your time, you will be offered one of four $50 egift voucher from GiftPay.
- Risks: There are no known risks associated with participating in this project. Specific information, such as location, age, etc. will be combined to create cohorts of participants for analysis and discussion to reduce the likelihood of identification.
As with any survey requiring self-reflection, however, there is always a possibility that some questions might bring up issues for you. If this is the case, recall you are free to withdraw at any time without penalty and also that there are support resources available through ANU (see below).
All responses will be confidential and will remain confidential, so far as the law allows. Raw data will be stored securely and access will be restricted to the Marketing Insights and Intelligence Division at ANU. For the purposes of better understanding the reasons, future analyses may see your responses to this survey linked to other administrative information you have provided to the university and other student records. In all circumstances, appropriate steps will be taken to ensure that individual participants are not identified in any subsequent reporting (e.g. qualitative responses will be de-identified where necessary).
Australian privacy law (or rules) require me to tell you how the University handles your private information, and you can ask me to give you more details of that or how you can find out what information we have about you and to fix it if it is wrong.
- Access or seek correction to their personal information,
- Complain about a breach of an Australian Privacy Principle by ANU, and how ANU will handle the complaint.
- Where: The data is held within Qualtrics while the survey is in the field for a period of two weeks and then downloaded from Qualtrics, deleted from Qualtrics and then held with ANU systems. Data will continued to be stored according to ANU privacy requirements and will be provided in de-identified format by the researcher.
- How long: The data will be stored for a period of at least five years from the date of any publication arising from the research on ANU computers in line with the requirements of ANU and the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Handling of Data following the required storage period: At the end of the storage period, the data will be archived to allow later use as necessary, of data provided without exposing you to new or additional risks.
Queries and Concerns
For further information about this project, please contact:
Marketing Insights and Intelligence
Contact Details if in Distress
ANU Counselling Centre, available 9am – 4.45pm: (02) 6125 2442
ANU Crisis Support Line 5pm-9am weekdays, 24/7 weekends and public holidays: 1300 050 327; SMS text message service 0488 884 170
Lifeline available 24/7: 13 11 14
Kids Helpline (5-25yr olds 24//7): 1800 55 1800
QLife Phone and Online Chat available 3pm – midnight: 1800 184 527 https://www.qlife.org.au/
eheadspace (12-25yr olds): 1800 650 890 or online chat https://www.eheadspace.org.au/