Use the Gear menu (cog icon, top-right) to Turn editing on
A single item – Hide, Make available, or Show
To hide an item, use the Edit menu to the right of the item, choose Hide.
The item title and icon will become greyed-out and a small label indicates Hidden from students.
For a hidden item, the Edit menu has two options:
- Show – returns the item to its original status, visible to students
- Make available – the item is then labelled Available but not shown on course page. Students may access this item from other parts of the course (e.g. via auto-links), but will not see it on the main page. This is also known as a “stealth” item.
For a stealth item, the Edit menu also has two options:
- Show – the item returns to its original visible status
- Make unavailable – the item becomes hidden and unavailable to students
To create a link to a stealth item, right-click on the item and Copy link address, then create a link using that URL; or simply type the title of the item elsewhere in the course, e.g. in a label, a book or a quiz, to create an auto-link.
Hide or Show a whole Section
(Depending on your choice in Course settings > Course format, a section may be referred to as a “Topic” or a “Week”. These instructions use “Topic” throughout.)
- Use the Gear menu (cog icon, top-right) to Turn editing on
- From the Edit menu to the right of the section title, choose Hide topic
Depending on your choice in the Course settings > Course format, the topic either completely disappears from students’ view, or they see just the title with the label Not available. Lecturers see the label Hidden from students.
All the items in a hidden topic also become hidden and unavailable, regardless of whether they were initially shown, hidden or “stealth”. Manual links to items now hidden will no longer work. Auto-links will automatically be removed. If the topic is shown again (Edit menu > choose Show topic), items remember and return to their previous status of shown, hidden or “stealth”.