- In the Nav Drawer on the left, click the Participants link, the first item under the name of the course.
- In the Participants page, go to the Gear menu (cog icon, top-right) and choose Groups.
- In the Groups page, click Create group.
- Enter the Group name, optionally include a Description (e.g. Monday 2-3pm, room 1.68) and a Picture.
Repeat this same process for as many groups as you need.
Set up Grouping
Once you have created your groups, the next step is to create a Grouping and add the groups to it.
(If you’re starting at this point, not following on from above, begin by clicking Participants in the Nav Drawer, then Groups in the Gear menu).
- Go to the Groupings tab at the top of the Groups page.
- Click Create grouping at the bottom of that page.
- Give the grouping a name, e.g. “Tutorial Groups”, provide a description if you like, and click Save Changes. Your new Grouping will appear in the list of groupings.
- To add Groups to your Grouping, click on the small person icon at the right end of that row, with the pop-up label “Show groups in grouping”.
- Select the groups you want from the Potential Members list and click Add to move them into your grouping. Notice that it is possible to place the same a group in multiple groupings.
- When you have finished, click the Back to groupings button. You will now see the groups listed in your grouping.
|Tip: The Overview tab gives a full display of the students and groups in each grouping.|
Group Selection activity
Adding the Group Self-Selection activity to your course page will allow students to organise themselves into your groups, e.g. for tutorial sign-up.
For the user guide on how to set up a Group Self-Select activity, please visit here.
In the Group Self-Select activity, when a student has become withdrawn student from the course, even if theyhave enrolled themselves into a group, they will be dropped, freeing up the space for other students.
For information on which student has withdrawn from a course, you can access this information in the Group's page via the Participants' page. Please see steps below to access the information:
- In the Navigation Drawer, click on "Participants"
- In the "Participants" page, click on the cog to the top right corner on the same page. A drop down menu will appear.
- In the drop down menu, select "Groups"
- In the "Groups" page, click on the group that you would like to see.
- In the section of "Members of", you will able to see which student is a member of the group, and which student is a "Suspended user". This "Suspended user" is the withdrawn student from the course.
For details on groups and groupings, see the Moodle documentation at https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Groups.
Please note that the ANU Group Selection activity is a little different from the “Group self-selection module” in the Moodle docs site.
Request further help from Wattle.Support@anu.edu.au