Sophos anti-virus is available on all Information Commons PCs.
ANU staff and students can also download Sophos anti-virus software-available for Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX and Linux/Unix-free of charge for all personal computers, including home computers.
- Uninstall any other antivirus software that may be installed.
- If you have an older version of Sophos anti-virus and Sophos Remote Update installed:
- Use the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel to firstly remove Sophos Remote Update
- Use the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel to then remove Sophos Anti-Virus
- Once removed reboot PC
- Download the Sophos Anti-Virus for Microsoft Windows Installer, unzip (extract) the files to a temporary location and run the setup.exe file.
- Enter "http://sophosupdate.anu.edu.au/sophosupdate/windows" in the Update Source section.
Upgrading from older versions
Older versions updating from ANU servers should update to the current version automatically. If problems occur, uninstall the older version before installing the new version.
- Download and unzip the Sophos Anti-Virus for Apple OS X installer. Run the Sophos Installer.
Enter "http://sophosupdate.anu.edu.au/sophosupdate/mac" in the Update Source section.
- Download the Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux Installer tarball to a temporary directory, such as /tmp
- Change to the temporary directory and untar the tarball "tar -xzvf sav-linux-9-i386.tgz"
- Run the install script "./sophos-av/install.sh"
Enter "http://sophosupdate.anu.edu.au/sophosupdate/linux" in the Update Source section.