Reducing the Size of a Document for Upload to ARIES
Purpose: To document a method of reducing the file size of a document so that it can be uploaded to ARIES.
Scenario: While uploading a document you receive an error message that says "Your file size has exceeded the system administrator's limit" and the file will not upload.
Background: ARIES has a document file size limit of approximately 10Mb (megabytes). Attempting to upload a file larger than this will generate an error message and the file will not be uploaded.
To reduce the size of a PDF:
- Open the pdf in Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Click on the Documents menu and select "Reduce File Size"
- Make the new file compatible with Adobe 9.0 and later
- Click OK
- Select a location to save the new file
This method turned a 15Mb PDF into a 6.5Mb PDF
Another option is to optimise the pdf.
- Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click on the Document menu and select "Optimise Scanned PDF".
- Move the slider to the left close to "Small Size"
- Click OK
- Adobe will optimise the PDF and you can then save the newer, smaller version.
This method turned the same 15Mb PDF to a 0.5Mb PDF.
If the new file is below 10Mb you can upload it to ARIES.
If you do not have access to Adobe Acrobat Pro, send the file to RSD.ITHelp@anu.edu.au and ask for the file size to be reduced.
To reduce the size of a Word document:
- Open to document and click "Print"
- From your list of printers select "Adobe PDF
- Click on "Printer Properties" and change the Default Settings to "Smallest File Size"
- Click OK and then click Print.
- Save the file.
This generates a smaller version of the file, in PDF format.
If you are scanning a hard copy at a multi-function device, you may be able to adjust the scan settings to create a smaller file. Ensure the scan resolution is at 300DPI, the scan is set to "greyscale" and that the scan setting is set to "Text".
If the file is still larger than 10Mb after being reduced, you can split the file into two parts for upload.
In Adobe - you can extract pages to a new document from the "Documents" tab.
In Word - cut and paste half of the pages into a new document and save with the appropriate filename.