A variety of tools are available for removing malware, however to guarantee malware is removed, a complete re-installation of the operating system is essential.
When a computer has been infected by malware, you will need to:
- Remove the compromised computer from the network: shut off and/or unplug from the network.
- Notifiy the Service Desk for assistace.
- If a complete operating system re-installation is not an option, please follow these steps to try and remove malware:
- Reset all passwords including ones for external sites you may have visited from the compromised computer.
- Notify the Service Desk that the computer is ready to be put back on the network.
To help prevent systems from being compromised or attracting malicious software in the future:
- Ensure all systems and applications are kept up-to-date.
- Be cautious of opening any attachments, media, or software distributed to you online.
- Install and keep anti virus software up-to-date
- Do not run your browser or other applications as root or administrator unless required
- Use a link advisor plugin for your browser to alert you of known bad websites
- Keep a backup of any critical data such as photos, research or assignments