The ANU Ally Network is a visible network of staff and students across the University who support the University’s commitment to providing an inclusive and respectful university environment for people who identify as being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ+).
• Promote understanding and awareness of LGBTIQ+ issues affecting staff and students on campus.
• Create a network of support across the University for people who identify as LGBTIQ+.
ANU Allies are not experts about matters of sexuality and gender identity - they are people who strongly support making ANU an environment where all staff and students can safely work and study free of harassment or discrimination.
In particular, an Ally understands the reasons why many transgender, bisexual, gay, lesbian or intersex people are fearful of being harassed or discriminated against, and why it is important to have Allies who are prepared to speak out on their behalf or advocate alongside them. Having trained Allies helps create a network of support across the University.
Email the Ally Network for more information, or sign up to join the Ally Network. You will need to have completed Ally Training to become a member of the Network, but you can sign up for reminders about upcoming training sessions by selecting that you haven't completed training on the sign up form.
Wear it Purple Day 2020
As part of our ongoing commitment to creating a supportive and inclusive workplace at ANU, we encourage you and your teams, on Friday 28th August 2020, to recognise and celebrate Wear It Purple Day.
Wear it Purple Day is an important day for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer + (LGBTIQ+) students and staff members, and their Allies, on campus.
The Wear it Purple Day Theme of 2020 is ‘We Are the Change!’.
This theme encourages every one of us to stand up and take action against adversity and marginalisation, and to work towards implementing productive and inclusive changes in our communities.
How to get involved:
- Complete the 2020 Wear It Purple Learning Challenge – this is a week of learning opportunities including videos and articles which teams and individuals can complete. After completing the challenge, individuals can enter the competition to win an Ally t-shirt.
- Download the Facebook banner or Zoom background from the Wear It Purple Day 2020 Resources tab on wearitpurple.org.
- Tag a photo of yourself wearing purple or using a purple background on social media using the #wearitpurpleANU, and winners drawn at random will receive an Ally t-shirt.