Roles and responsibilities while on workers compensation


  • Take part in the return to work process.
  • See your Doctor on or before the review date as specified on your medical certificate.
  • Provide your original medical certificates to your Rehabilitation Case Manager and a copy to your Supervisor.
  • Advise your Supervisor and Rehabilitation Case Manager if you cannot attend work during the graduated return to work (GRTW) plan.
  • Advise your Supervisor, Rehabilitation Case Manager and provider in a timely way of any worsening of your condition.
  • If you cannot attend work because of your compensable injury you must have a doctor's medical certificate to claim compensation for the absence.
  • Complete required forms in a timely manner.


  • Monitor progress of your injured staff member.
  • Complete required forms in a timely manner.
  • Liaise with the case manager and communicate any concerns about the return to work process.
  • Support the return to work process.
  • Assist to identify alternate suitable duties if necessary.


  • Support the return to work process.
  • Identify alternate suitable duties if necessary.

Frequently asked questions

What are my rights under the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation (SRC) Act?
An employee has the right to:

  • their entitlements under the SRC Act
  • confidentiality
  • access to documents that relate to their claim
  • ask for certain decisions to be reconsidered

What entitlements might I receive?
Under the SRC Act reasonable medical treatment will be paid based on an employee's individual situation. Medical treatment includes services that are provided by, or under the supervision of, a legally qualified medical practitioner, and may include treatment by health professionals such as physiotherapists, osteopaths, dentists, as well as prescribed medications. When an employee has time off work as a result of their injury, they may be entitled to incapacity payments. Medical evidence linking their absence from work with their condition must be provided.

What about my privacy?
The information provided by an employee to allow their claim to be managed is subject to the 'privacy principles' under the Privacy Act.
Read more about privacy

How can I access information about my claim?
If an employee would like to view their claim file, ANU will arrange to give them a copy of documents held in relation to the claim. Employees simply need to submit their request in writing. This is to make sure the employee's documents are not provided to someone else. There is no charge for the information provided.

What are my responsibilities?
An employee's responsibilities include:

  • Promptly reporting to their employer the details of any accident, injury or disease that might be related to their work.
  • Co-operating with their employer, case manager, claims manager and rehabilitation provider to achieve a full return to work (if this is medically appropriate).

Employees may also be required to attend a medical examination, if arranged by the Claims Management Team at ANU. You must also notify ANU of any third party action taken, as well as any change to your personal circumstances.

What changes in circumstances should I report?
Employees receiving compensation benefits should advise any change to their:

  • name
  • address
  • number or circumstances of their dependents
  • employment (including employment outside the ANU, whether voluntary or otherwise)
  • earnings
  • medical condition
  • bank account details (if their incapacity benefit is being paid directly into their bank account)

What about Third party action?
If an employee, their dependents, or another person, starts legal action against a third party or against a Commonwealth or ACT Government employer in relation to their work-related injury or illness, ANU must be notified, in writing, within seven days, that those proceedings have been started.

Proving misleading or false information
If at any stage the employee becomes aware that they have made a misleading statement (for example on a claim form) they can amend this by writing to their Claims Manager. Uncorrected false or misleading statements may lead to delays in a decision on the claim. In certain cases, it may also lead to action being taken under the Crimes Act 1914. From time to time, investigations may be taken into the legitimacy of a claim if it appears, amongst other things, that the information provided may be false or misleading. This helps ensure only legitimate compensation claims are accepted.

Further information about rehabilitation
The following information is available in relation to rehabilitation under the SRC Act.

What is rehabilitation?

What are the roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders within a rehabilitation program?

Page owner: Human Resources