The Australian National University is committed to further developing the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Is Islander Employment Strategy to achieve a workforce reflective of the Australian population.
The Australian National University Enterprise Agreement 2010-2012 has objectives and principles for the operation of the Employment Strategy.
How your work area can be involved?
Here are some tips for recruiting Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people:
- provide work experience for keen job seekers
- advertise vacant positions in the Koori Mail and National Indigenous Times (newspapers)
- use behavioural interviewing techniques
- request diversity candidates through the casual pool.
How can the Senior Consultant, Indigenous Employment assist us?
The Senior Consultant, Indigenous Employment (SCIE) is the first point of call for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander employment matters. The SCIE will:
- assist with planning to meet expectations and targets under the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy
- provide continuing HR advice and support specific to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander employment matters to management and supervisors
- provide Aboriginal Cultural Awareness & Strategy Sessions for all staff in your area
- recruitment advice for attracting skilled and motivated employees
- assistance with implementing the 'Supporting Our Staff' policy for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander employees, including informal mentoring
- staff members focused on their career with the University through the Indigenous Australian Staff Network (IASN)
- any other matter related to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander employment with the University.