Fraudulent purchase order activity: Notice to suppliers
Updated 17 October 2018
The Australian National University (the University) has recently become aware of fraudulent activity that is targeting suppliers.
This electronic scam involves requests for quotations and establishment of a credit account, then a subsequent issue of a purchase order, which purports to come from the University but is in fact fraudulent. In some cases the fraud has involved completing an online request for information/quotation through the supplier’s website, issuing a fraudulent credit terms profile and issuing fraudulent contracts.
It appears the scam operates through the ordering of goods which, when delivered, are then transferred elsewhere and the supplier does not receive payment for the goods.
The University has informed the relevant law enforcement agencies.
Information for suppliers
We are aware of some common traits or themes of the fraudulent activity and its origin. These are as follows:
- The sender’s email address is not from the University’s email address domain which is @anu.edu.au. Fraudulent emails have been received by suppliers from: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The email message is poorly written, with grammatical mistakes and awkward sentence structure.
- The email requesting a quotation or attaching a purchase order will appear to be from a staff member at the University.
- The purchase order will include a delivery address that is typically a warehousing and/or distribution centre that is NOT associated with the University’s current delivery address (ACTON, ACT 2601)).
- The phone number in the email will include the prefix ’61 2 8188 or 61 2 8317′ (the University’s phone numbers generally have the prefix 02 612).
In the event that you suspect fraud in any way please contact your local law enforcement agency.
Updated 16 July 2018
AMEX Global Business Travel have updated their telephone system and moved to a new phone number. As of 16 July 2018, users of the arrangement should call +61 2 9112 0474 to reach the AMEX GBT team.