Fraudulent purchase order activity: Notice to suppliers
Updated 24 January 2018
The Australian National University (the University) has recently become aware of fraudulent activity that is targeting suppliers.
This electronic scam involves requests for quotations and establishment of a credit account, then a subsequent issue of a purchase order, which purports to come from the University but is in fact fraudulent. In some cases the fraud has involved completing an online request for information/quotation through the supplier’s website, issuing a fraudulent credit terms profile and issuing fraudulent contracts.
It appears the scam operates through the ordering of goods which, when delivered, are then transferred elsewhere and the supplier does not receive payment for the goods.
The University has informed the relevant law enforcement agencies.
Information for suppliers
We are aware of some common traits or themes of the fraudulent activity and its origin. These are as follows:
- The sender’s email address is not from the University’s email address domain which is @anu.edu.au. Fraudulent emails have been received by suppliers from: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The email message is poorly written, with grammatical mistakes and awkward sentence structure.
- The email requesting a quotation or attaching a purchase order will appear to be from a staff member at the University.
- The purchase order will include a delivery address that is typically a warehousing and/or distribution centre that is NOT associated with the University’s current delivery address (ACTON, ACT 2601)).
- The phone number in the email will include the prefix ’61 2 8188 or 61 2 8317′ (the University’s phone numbers generally have the prefix 02 612).
In the event that you suspect fraud in any way please contact your local law enforcement agency.
Certificate IV in Government (Procurement and Contracting)
Updated 9 October 2017
Training date for the next Certificate IV in Government (Procurement and Contracting) will be scheduled for early 2018.
Any ANU personnel interested in obtaining this qualification is invited to send an e-mail to email@example.com for further information.
The Certificate IV in Government Procurement and Contracting is a nationally recognised qualification for personnel conducting procurement and contracting activities in Public Sector organisations. UPCO has engaged a third party provider, Proleaders, to provide this course in an expedited manner to interested ANU personnel.