Long service leave, parental and extended sick leave
The Long Service Leave (LSL) pool was established to assist all funds, including T and E ledgers, manage the cash flow implications of paying staff for:
- LSL on termination of employment or LSL taken in service;
- Parental leave; and
- Extended sick leave (beyond four weeks).
The LSL Pool covers only the items listed above. Career re-entry assistance and any other leave or entitlements not listed above are NOT covered by the LSL Pool.
The pool receives no "central" ANU funding. Each pay period, contributions based on a percentage of salary costs are made by budget units from salaries charged to all funds.
Current guidelines for leave reimbursement
The reimbursement of long service leave, maternity leave and sick leave is managed through Finance and Business Services. Guidelines are as follows:
- 100% reimbursement for untaken LSL (including on-costs) paid to staff on separation from ANU
- 100% reimbursement for LSL (including on-costs) paid to staff that take leave in service
- 100% reimbursement of parental leave paid to staff on leave up to a maximum of 20 weeks (including on-costs). Note that career re-entry assistance is excluded from reimbursement.
- 100% reimbursement for extended sick leave in excess of four consecutive weeks (including on-costs). Payment only applies to the period in excess of the initial four consecutive weeks’ absence.
ARC grants with named fellowships fund specific positions. For these specific positions, the ARC fund the first 14 weeks of maternity leave, plus a % of on-costs as identified for each Award/Fellowship in the 2017 ARC salary and stipdend rates for Discover and Linkage document . The allowed on-cost rate differs by Award/fellowship. ARC do no fund parental leave or LSL.
Where maternity leave is funded by the ARC, it will not be reimbursed from the LSL pool. Thus, for ARC named fellowships, the LSL pool will reimburse only the last 6 weeks of maternity leave (including on-costs).
Long service leave and maternity/primary carers/adoption
Finance and Business Services automatically process reimbursements to budget units based on a report from HRMS. Reimbursements are processed quarterly. The funds are credited to the same department that the original costs were charged to.
Extended sick leave
For extended sick leave (beyond four weeks), budget units must submit a claim requesting reimbursement of leave payments made to staff. All claims and documentation should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The claims must include the following details of the person who took leave:
- ANU ID
- Type of leave
- Period of leave
- Total funds being claimed
- HRMS Payroll Costing Report for the period of leave or relevant calculations based on salary levels
- HR Leave Report showing duration of leave as recorded in the HR system.
Reimbursements will be processed in arrears via journal entry to account 5007R following approval of the claim.