ANU is situated on 145 hectares in the heart of Australia's 'bush capital'. It is this inspiring setting which helps drive the creativity of ANU staff and students.
The ANU Walks app provides you with a new way to look at the ANU campus, with information on architecture, political history, sustainability, built heritage and outdoor sculpture.
The app contains images and detailed descriptions, as well as a map to help plan your walks around ANU:
- The architecture trail introduces the distinct planning phases of the campus, and explains why the ANU has been described as 'an architectural Disneyland'.
- The political history trail allows you to follow in the footsteps of the protests and drunken escapades that has shaped the University's social conscience.
- The landscape trail features elements of the campus' park-like atmosphere, as envisioned by the Griffin plan for Canberra.
- The Lindsay Pryor Walk celebrates the contribution of this eminent botanist to Canberra's urban forest, with a walk among 22 significant tree species.
- The sculpture walk is a delightful way to access and explore a significant part of the ANU art collection at your leisure.
- The heritage walk provides a window into the early history of the Federal Capital, and the architectural styles of the early 20th Century.
- The Mt Stromlo heritage trail shows the history and scientific aspects of Mt. Stromlo, while taking in stunning views over Canberra.
- The sustainability walk exhibits some of the best examples of the natural environment on campus, as well as energy, water and waste efficiency and innovation.
The ANU Walks app can be downloaded from the App Store for iOS and from Google Play for Android.